Re: list files in dired case insensitive order

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: list files in dired case insensitive order
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2008 10:57:20 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 14, 10:08 am, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:
> > is it possible to order dir/files in dired so that it's case
> > insensitive? i.e. i don't want dir or file starting with caps grouped
> > together on top.
>
> There are no doubt several ways. I use these libraries:
> dired-sort-menu.el
> dired-sort-menu+.el
>
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiredSortMenu

Hi Drew,

thanks a lot.

I went to
http://centaur.maths.qmw.ac.uk/Emacs/
but server not responding.

Could you possibly pass me that?
Or perhaps put the source on emacswiki?

I read on emacswiki that you wrote “dired-sort-menu+.el” to enhance
it. Couldn't you just fork it so it's one single coherent package?

my gripe is that there are so many packages to install and massage
things. Usually this limit the usefulness to a few emacs diehards. It
would be great if dired itself should handle case insensitive
ordering, since this is pretty basic. (dired should also do opening
several files, which is also a FAQ)... getting stuff into GNU Emacs is
really a pain and long process... even though it has became better in
the past 5 years.

Related:
• On Unix File System's Case Sensitivity (by Brian Tiemann)
  http://xahlee.org/UnixResource_dir/_/fileCaseSens.html

anyway, thanks a lot for the pointer.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/