Re: Distributed Maintenance for Emacs (was: is there summary of template

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Distributed Maintenance for Emacs (was: is there summary of template systems for emacs?)
Date: Mon, 15 Dec 2008 22:28:13 +0100

Leo <sdl.web@gmail.com> writes:

> On 2008-12-14 21:37 +0000, Xah Lee wrote:
>> I really feel sorry emacs's user base is dying. The most important
>> thing i think is to get emacs to use modern terminologies and be
>> compatible with the minimum of standard modern UI.
>
> Users are not scared off by Emacs's UI. It is more important its
> functionality.

That is incredibly naive and not a little wrong in my humble opinion.

Many users are scared off by the UI.  The UI is not for the faint
hearted.  What must be accepted is that to gain the benefits then one
has to earn the skills to access those benefits.

> And in order to boost its functionality a few orders more and better, it
> needs a good development model, a model that supports *DISTRIBUTED*
> maintenance.

Its current functionality would appear to be at odds with your
views. Not that the current maintenance structure could not be
improved. What can not be improved after all?

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the
satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation