Re: Emacs's popularity

From: Lennart Borgman
Subject: Re: Emacs's popularity
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 01:53:39 +0100

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 12:40 AM, Richard Riley <rileyrgdev@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Not strange at all Lennart, Why would someone run the Emacs OS to run
>>> emulated vim  when they can run the real thing in 100th of the
>>> footprint?
>>
>> Exactly why do you think the footprint matter?
>
> Are you serious?

Well, yes. I did not even mention that you greatly exaggerated the
footprint differences.

> Memory usage, start speed, response, and all thinks linked.

I actually do not think those are the problem. A barebone Emacs starts
up very fast.

But start up time may still be a trouble when doing small editing. Of
course if you know about Emacs client/server that is not a problem in
most cases (though someone gave an example with su that would not work
in this case).

> And with the boom in netbooks and OSen on USB sticks, emacs finds itself
> more and more pushed into that "heavy dinosaur" category. I'm not saying
> I *agree* with it, just those are my observations.

I checked my Emacs+EmacsW32 directory tree. It is about 160 MB. I am
planning to buy a netbook with about 160 GB disk. And hopefully 2 GB
memory.