Re: Emacs's popularity

From: Tim X
Subject: Re: Emacs's popularity
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 21:21:40 +1100

Óscar Fuentes <ofv@wanadoo.es> writes:

> Teemu Likonen <tlikonen@iki.fi> writes:
>
> [snip]
>
>> But Vim is not only installed; it's really used a lot.[snip]
>
> Inspecting the atime of emacs and vim executables on my machine, one
> could conclude that I frequently use vim and almost never emacs. The
> true is the opposite: I start emacs just after login and don't close it
> until the next time that I'm in the mood of updating to the last CVS
> version, or until the next reboot. This can mean several months of
> intense use. OTOH, whenever I need to tweak some file on /etc, I do a
> sudo vim /etc/whatever

I use to do it that way, but now I jus do  (for example)

C-x C-f /root@localhost:/etc/aliases

tramp will prompt me for the root password and if I get it correct, will
open the file in an emacs buffer. No need to setup anything special, but
you can make it even easier if you setup sudo appropriately (which I've
not bothered doing cause I'm lazy!)

Tim
--
tcross (at) rapttech dot com dot au