Re: Emacs's popularity

From: Juanma Barranquero
Subject: Re: Emacs's popularity
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 13:52:22 +0100

On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 13:36, Phil Carmody
<thefatphil_demunged@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> Opening files?

Starting, opening a file, and exiting.

If vi loads a file much faster than Emacs in normal usage, that's a
cause for concern, specially if we're talking of a long time (more
than a few tenths of seconds, well into the seconds). But the examples
were "start, read file, quit". For that kind of thing the user would
use emacsclient/server. Emacs almost expects to start once a day
(week, etc.) at most.

Note that I'm not saying that is the "right" way to use Emacs; just
that it is more optimized for that kind of pattern. I start Emacs many
times a day (though, truth be told, startup time has never been
problematic, unless you happen to open etc/HELLO ;-)

    Juanma