Re: Emacs's popularity

From: Phil Carmody
Subject: Re: Emacs's popularity
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 15:03:15 +0200

"Juanma Barranquero" <lekktu@gmail.com> writes:
> On Tue, Dec 16, 2008 at 13:36, Phil Carmody
> <thefatphil_demunged@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> Opening files?
>
> Starting, opening a file, and exiting.
>
> If vi loads a file much faster than Emacs in normal usage, that's a
> cause for concern

Subtract the 'start, quit' time from the 'start, open file, quit' time.
That's the file open time. Is vim loading a file at twice the speed of
emacs cause for concern?

> , specially if we're talking of a long time (more
> than a few tenths of seconds, well into the seconds). But the examples
> were "start, read file, quit". For that kind of thing the user would
> use emacsclient/server. Emacs almost expects to start once a day
> (week, etc.) at most.

That's why I specifically pointed out "opening files" above.
That's why I specifically gave a 'start, quit' time so that the
start and the quit could be subtracted from the 'start, open, quit'
time. You don't seriously think that I was considering 'start, quit'
to be an actual usage scenario whose time is important, do you?

> Note that I'm not saying that is the "right" way to use Emacs; just
> that it is more optimized for that kind of pattern. I start Emacs many
> times a day (though, truth be told, startup time has never been
> problematic, unless you happen to open etc/HELLO ;-)

My emacses, and alas I seem to have to have 2 open, stay open for
roughly 1 months (the GNUS one), and 1 week (the code editing one).

The reason I don't use the client/server setup is that I absolutely
do not want C/Perl code buffers appearing or being offered to me
while I'm doing stuff in GNUS, and I absolutely do not want newsgroup/
SCORE buffers appearing or being offered to me when I'm doing stuff
with coding. Is there any way to keep these two sessions independent
and still use the client/server setup?

Phil
--
I tried the Vista speech recognition by running the tutorial. I was
amazed, it was awesome, recognised every word I said. Then I said the