Re: list files in dired case insensitive order

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: list files in dired case insensitive order
Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2008 12:40:27 -0800 (PST)

On Dec 17, 8:19 am, "Drew Adams" <drew.ad...@oracle.com> wrote:

> > > There are no doubt several ways. I use these libraries:
> > > dired-sort-menu.el
> > > dired-sort-menu+.el
>
> > >http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiredSortMenu
>
> > i just downloaded it from the new url you posted the source:
> >http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/dired-sort-menu.el
>
> > then i eval-buffer. Then went to a dir and pulled the menu
> > "Immediate?Sort by?" and don't see anything about "case insenstive".
> > Then i tried "Immediate?Sort by?Unsort" out of curiosity, then it
> > says: "insert-directory: Listing directory failed but `access-file'
> > worked".
>
> Dunno. Works for me out of the box. If you want to try to debug it, perhaps we
> can find the problem.
>
> With emacs -Q, I load the file, then open Dired, and see this menu item (which
> works for me):
>
> Immediate > Sort By > Ignore Case (c)
>
> If you don't see that, then yes, there is a problem.
>
> I see Immediate > Sort By > Unsorted (not Unsort), and it works for me.
>
> I suggest you either debug a bit (e.g. `debug-on-error' or `debug-on-entry')
> or,
> if you don't want to spend the time, give up.
>
> > Btw, the original link:
> >http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/DiredSortMenu
> > still doesn't work for me.
>
> Works for me. Perhaps the wiki site had a hiccup when you tried - maybe try it
> again.
>
> > At this point, more time spent to get this work is not worthwhile than
> > the minor incovenience.
>
> Your call. If it's major enough to spend your time and mine on the mailing
> list,
> then I would think it might be major enough to spend a little time to try to
> see
> what the problem is.
>
> Did you use emacs -Q? If not, perhaps something in your init file is
> interfering. Are you using Emacs 23? If so, try Emacs 22 - maybe they've
> broken
> or "improved" something, so it doesn't work with dired-sort-menu.el. However,
> it
> works for me with an Emacs 23 build of 11/24. Dunno.
>
> > This is why i hate tech geek diddling or "play with" source code or
> > compiling emacs, and why it is important to have everything by
> > default, because that usually garantee some quality assurance.
>
> Yes, I want it all, and I want it NOW! ;-)
>
> But won't you feel silly if you discover that it is your own tech-geek
> diddling
> in your init file that led to the problems you see? ;-) Just a guess.

just a quick reply (heading for bed now)...

i started my Carbon Emacs with -q
, then open the file, eval-buffer, then go to dired, then pull menu
under Immediate. No i don't see “> Immediate > Sort By > Ignore Case
(c)”. If i choose Unsort, the dired buffer gets erased empty with that
error message.

the package i got from wiki is

;;; dired-sort-menu.el --- provide menu/dialogue for dired sort
options
;; $Id: dired-sort-menu.el,v 1.26 2001-07-26 21:22:48+01 fjw Exp $
;;; dired-sort-menu.el ends here

the emacs i'm using is:
GNU Emacs 22.2.1 (powerpc-apple-darwin8.11.0, Carbon Version 1.6.0) of
2008-04-05 on g5.tokyo.stp.isas.jaxa.jp

i'll maybe respond to your message more fully 'morrow and maybe
something will come up...

'night

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/