Re: compilation output has many nonprintable characters, what shall I do

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: compilation output has many nonprintable characters, what shall I do?
Date: Fri, 19 Dec 2008 09:29:45 +0200

> Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2008 22:30:49 +0000
> From: "Colin S. Miller" <no-spam-thank-you@csmiller.demon.co.uk>
>
> GCC tries to use smartquotes if locale supports it.
> However Emacs tends to get confused with them.

Assuming this is Emacs 22, Emacs does not get confused by Unicode
characters like that.  More probably, the OP's setup of Emacs is
somehow in contradiction with the shell's locale, because Emacs
generally uses the same environment variables as GCC to decide whether
GCC will use UTF-8 in its output.

> The above command tells GCC that the shell (emacs)
> doesn't support smart quotes.

Emacs certainly does, unless you interfere with its default setup of
locale-related issues.