Re: Building emacs 22.3 with djgpp 2.04 beta/Windows XP SP3 MCE 2005

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Building emacs 22.3 with djgpp 2.04 beta/Windows XP SP3 MCE 2005
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 06:12:16 +0200

> From: Allan <mu8ja0i@earthlink.net>
> Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 16:33:06 -0600
>
> I have been using emacs 22.3 Windows binaries up to now but I decided to
> try building from source code using djgpp 2.04 beta on a Windows XP
> Media Center Edition 2005 SP3 platform. My first small difficulty was in
> running the MS-DOS configuration script `config.bat'. It did not
> recognize that I had `djecho.exe' installed. Here is the output from the
> command window:
> D:\emacs-22.3>config.bat --no-debug msdos
> Checking whether 'sed' is available...
> Checking whether 'rm' is available...
> Checking whether 'mv' is available...
> Checking whether 'gcc' is available...
> Checking what version of DJGPP is installed...
> Checking whether 'djecho' is available...
> The Vdm Redirector is already loaded

This problem is explained in the file etc/PROBLEMS:

    *** When compiling with DJGPP on MS-Windows NT, "config msdos" fails.

    If the error message is "VDM has been already loaded", this is because
    Windows has a program called `redir.exe' that is incompatible with a
    program by the same name supplied with DJGPP, which is used by
    config.bat.  To resolve this, move the DJGPP's `bin' subdirectory to
    the front of your PATH environment variable.

> I was able to fix the script by commenting out the test and bypassing
> the error message displayed and configured the makefile. Then I
> encountered a problem which I cannot fix by myself. When I run the make
> command it says that some .elc files are missing and that I need to run
> `make bootstrap'.

That is very strange: building an official release should not require
a bootstrap.  Did you build the official emacs-22.3.tar.gz
distribution, or did you get your sources in some other way?  Did you
perhaps delete all the *.elc files somehow, e.g. by running Make with
some target that cleans too much?

> However when I run `make bootstrap' it also generates an error as
> follows:
> Dumping under the name emacs
> 59775 pure bytes used
> mv -f emacs b-emacs
> stubify b-emacs
> stubedit b-emacs.exe minstack=1024k
> rm -f emacs.exe temacs.exe emacs
> make.exe[1]: Leaving directory `d:/emacs-22.3/src'
> cd lisp; c:/djgpp204/bin/make.exe  bootstrap
> EMACS=d:/emacs-22.3/src/b-emacs.exe
>  lisp=d:/emacs-22.3/lisp; cd ..
> make.exe[1]: Entering directory `d:/emacs-22.3/lisp'
> wd=d:/emacs-22.3/lisp; subdirs=`(cd $wd; find . -type d -print)`; for file in
> $s
> ubdirs; do case $file in */Old | */RCS | */CVS | */CVS/* | */.* | */.*/* |
> */=*
> ) ;; *) wins="$wins $wd/$file" ;; esac; done; \
>         for file in $wins; do \
>            ./../update-subdirs $file; \
>         done;
> Bad command or file name
> Bad command or file name
> FIND: Parameter format not correct

This happens because you either don't have the DJGPP port of GNU Find
program, or again because the Windows find.exe (a totally different
program) is found on PATH before the GNU find.exe.

> make.exe[1]: *** No rule to make target `../lisp/abbrev.elc', needed by
> `../etc/
> DOC'.  Stop.
> make.exe[1]: Leaving directory `d:/emacs-22.3/src'
> make.exe: *** [src] Error 2

This is the consequence of the previous problem.

Btw, Emacs 22.x has several bugs in the DJGPP build, so I encourage
you to try the CVS version of the upcoming Emacs 23, where these
problems are resolved.