crypt++ and encoding

From: Felix E. Klee
Subject: crypt++ and encoding
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 05:19:40 -0800 (PST)

I have crypt++ enabled, and I use it regularly to open GPG encrypted
files. This works fine. One simply has to enter the password in the
minibuffer and everything else is taken care of automatically.
However, one thing does not work:

If the file is UTF-8 encoded, then that is not respected. It seems
like Latin-1 or something similar is used for display instead. Why?
How do I solve the problem?

Note that the files in question have "coding: utf-8" in the local
variables section. So UTF-8 is specified explicitly.