How to make emacs *not* add a newline at the end of the file?

From: Juha Nieminen
Subject: How to make emacs *not* add a newline at the end of the file?
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 2008 17:56:38 GMT

  From some version forward emacs has been automatically adding a
newline at the end of the file if there wasn't one when saving the file.

  I don't need this feature, and in a few cases it actually hinders me
(ie. in the few cases where I *really* don't want that newline as the
last character of the file). I have always liked emacs because it
doesn't add any extraneous characters which I haven't specifically told
it to add, like so many other text editors do, which gives me much more
precise control over the contents of the file. This new feature is
consequently a bit annoying.

  How can the feature be turned off?

  Another related question: Is there an easy way of making emacs
visually show the end of the file? (Some other text editors have such a
feature, eg. by showing a special symbol after the last character in the
file, and it would be useful.)