emacs, shell -- command execution problem

From: relson
Subject: emacs, shell -- command execution problem
Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2009 15:35:23 -0800 (PST)

Within emacs I use the bash shell a lot along with previous line
editing.  For example, I might execute a command like:

   ls $( find / -name whatever )

then I might use "!!" to recall the above command so I can edit it and
use it again.    When I do this, i.e. use "!!", the command is
recalled as

  ls $ ( find / -name whatever )

i.e. with 1 blank space between "$" and "(".  Presently I have to
manually edit the line to remove the space.  Is there a fix for "!!"
that will properly recall the command, i.e. without the blank space?