Re: commenting trouble

From: Ian Eure
Subject: Re: commenting trouble
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2009 15:34:58 -0800

On Jan 9, 2009, at 11:52 AM, Reynaldo wrote:

Hello,

Recently I wrote this (my first lines of Emacs Lisp)

(defun comentar (&optional beg end)
 (interactive "r")
 (save-excursion
   (if (and beg end)
   (comment-region beg end)
     (let ((beg (progn
          (beginning-of-line)
          (point)))
       (end (progn
          (end-of-line)
          (point))))
   (comment-region beg end)))))

And my purpose was to use the same function to comment a line without
having to select a region, or comment a region (selecting it, of course)
but it doesn't work as expected. If for once I delete the if condition
then it works fine when I comment a line, but i wanted to extend it to
comment a region.

Is this possible? Or does one need to have separate command (and key
bindings) to work on a line or on a region as with kill-line and kill-region

I use this code I ganked from Aquamacs (lines 308-324):

http://github.com/davidswelt/aquamacs-git/tree/master/src/site-lisp/macosx/osxkeys.el#L308

It gives you (comment-or-uncomment-region-or-line), which I bind to C- c C-c in the appropriate modes.

 - Ian