Re: how to use ejacs to eval a file as with command line driven interpr

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: how to use ejacs to eval a file as with command line driven interpreters
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 09:00:03 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 12, 6:18 pm, Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> XahLeewrote:
> > On Jan 9, 7:09 pm, Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodg...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >>http://code.google.com/p/ejacs/wiki/README
>
> >> There is also a console load() function that takes as an argument the
> >> path to a JavaScript source file to load and evaluate.
>
> > Thanks Kevin. I missed that.
>
> > ... haven't spend time on this... but “load” is actually just a
> > function of js, much like “include” in other lang.
>
> > i'm hoping to have something like eval-region and eval-buffer for it.
> > Using the “load” function to implement this might mean a bit of a
> > hack.
>
> > ... looking at the source code, looks like js-evaluate in the right
> > thing to call. Just did this:
>
> > (js-evaluate "print(4);")
>
> > 4
>
> > seems it insert result and consol prompt into the current buffer, as
> > if expecting it is called in a console... a bit more look i found js-
> > eval-buffer:
>
> > // (js-eval-buffer (current-buffer))
> > print(3);
>
> > but got error
> > let: No catch for tag: js-THROW, throw
>
> So you need to establish the js-THROW tag before calling js-eval-buffer:
>
> (catch 'js-THROW
>    (js-eval-buffer (current-buffer)))
>
> If you search the ejacs source code for js-THROW and js-eval-buffer, you
> should be able to find out how to do it properly.

i think i'm too lazy. I already have spidermonkey on command line...
was just hoping to toy up with ejacs...

Maybe someone should tell Stevey to brush it up for this... it might
increase its toy value a bit and make use of it ... (am updating my js
tutorial
( http://xahlee.org/js/javascript_basics.html ) For the examples
there, ejacs would be perfect if i can just run it as file.)

he wanted to add DOM to ejacs so that people can script emacs with js.
(which would be great cause i think js is much better than elisp (not
in some fundamental sense, but in pratice, cause lisp is really aged
and in my opinion practically inferior to js or say ruby even just
considering the language)) According to his blog, he's todo is piled
up to next 2 or more years... but as with most todos and projects that
became successful, maybe someone just need to give him a jolt.

i thought of taking it up myself but designing a DOM for emacs and
implement it in js is not trivial, and am no js expert.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/