Scroll preserving point position - other meaning

From: volodyan
Subject: Scroll preserving point position - other meaning
Date: Wed, 14 Jan 2009 23:29:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi,
I am using Emacs with X and struggling to do the following. How can I
preserve point's position while scrolling IN TEXT? I spent hours roaming
through Internet/searched the forum, but everyone seems to be interested in
preserving point's position on screen. I want to be able to use scroll bar
with a mouse or PageUp/Down to look something up and then return, but the
point insists on staying on screen.

Another, I think related issue, if I want to find a matching parentheses, I
click on one and the region between the two is selected. If this region fits
the screen - fine. But if not, when I try scrolling using a mouse to find
another end of the region, the region gets unselected. In all other
graphical editors scrolling with a mouse doesn't move point/unselects
region. I just "upgraded" to Emacs from Eclipse and I guess there is a way
to get such behavior in Emacs. How?

Thanks for your help