Re: Scroll preserving point position - other meaning

From: volodyan
Subject: Re: Scroll preserving point position - other meaning
Date: Thu, 15 Jan 2009 13:27:39 -0800 (PST)

What should I do with this code? I've just started learning emacs, but
scrolling is so basic that I hope to make it as I like before I graduate my
emacs studies...

This is the emacs I use:
GNU Emacs 23.0.60.1 (x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.3)
------------------------------
Rant follows...
I cannot think of any use a point getting stuck somewhere on the edge of the
display or jump randomly when I scroll with a mouse. Every other editor I've
used waits for a left mouse click to position the point. Only arrows,
characters and mouse click move the point. I understand that some users like
the current behavior, just hope that I will be able to customize it. Ability
to customize supposed to be the strongest point of emacs and the first
response that IT JUST CANNOT BE DONE really frustrated me.

For example, as wrote earlier if a block of code is longer than a screen, I
can click on its closing bracket to highlight the region. But I just cannot
reach to see where the block starts as the highlighting will turn off as
soon as the point touches the edge of the screen.
End of rant.

Thanks,
Vlad

I think one could write something like a modal scrolling,
like in this pseudo elisp.

(defun scroll-modal-pre-command-hook ()
   "Pseudocode!"
   (when (eq this-command 'scroll-bar-command)
     (save-window-excursion
       (while (scroll-bar-command-p)
         (apply 'scroll-command)
         (read-event)))))

I don't know if that's what eveybody has in mind here.

-ap