Re: [Orgmode] desirability of boxquote-style snippets for helping new us

From: Sébastien Vauban
Subject: Re: [Orgmode] desirability of boxquote-style snippets for helping new users
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 16:05:41 +0100

Hi Matthew and Samuel,

>> I have noticed more people using boxquote and similar ways of
>> setting off code. This makes it pretty and makes it stand
>> out, both of which are good things.

I agree. Writing an easy-to-read mail is a good thing.

>> However, most prefix every line. For example, boxquote by
>> default uses "|".
>>
>> While an experienced user can figure out rectangle commands
>> or write a command to unpack the quote, new users and users
>> who can't type much might skip using the code to avoid having
>> to do that.
>>
>> Perhaps quotes of code, in all packages like boxquote, could
>> by default get fancy only on the lines precediing and
>> following.
>
> Something like this perhaps?
>
> ,----
>    (setq boxquote-side "   ")
> `----

For me, boxquote is not to use for code. It's great, and I use
it for everything else, but not for code...

For making your code stand out, just use `C-c M-m' or `M-x
message-mark-inserted-region' once you've selected a region on
which to apply the transformation.

It will add "cut here" lines around the block of code, like this:

for i in `seq 1 10`; do
echo $i;
done

If you use Gnus (maybe others as well) for reading this, you
should not see the separator lines, and see the code with a
yellow background.

Others will see the line, which we'll be less nice, but will
provide the same effect of clarity.

Best regards,
  Seb

--