Re: How to configure default widow splitting orientation

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: How to configure default widow splitting orientation
Date: Fri, 16 Jan 2009 17:03:02 -0600

David Abrahams wrote:
on Fri Jan 16 2009, David Abrahams <dave-AT-boostpro.com> wrote:

on Thu Sep 04 2008, "Francis Moreau" <francis.moro-AT-gmail.com> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 6:18 PM, weber <hugows@gmail.com> wrote:
I used this for a while:

http://tsdh.wordpress.com/2007/03/09/automatically-split-window-horizontally-if-current-window-is-wide-enough/
Thanks !

This should do the trick until I upgrade to emacs 23.1
Hmm, I've been using something else (even though I am on an emacs
snapshot and I should have a customizable
`split-window-preferred-function').  I'm not sure yet whether my
approach has any advantages over the customization; if not, I'm
inclined to drop it.

See
http://github.com/techarcana/elisp/blob/7eb6347a0aab8f444c7b645f4b5383613493a913/elisp/config.d/window-splitting.el

Okay, this is really weird.  First I tried disabling my advice and
customizing split-window-preferred-function to 'split-window-horizontally
instead.  All heck broke loose: just trying to do tab completion in the
minibuffer would result in "Attempt to split minibuffer window" errors.
Then I removed the customization and left my advice disabled.

Everything worked exactly as it had seemed to with the advice
enabled. Beautiful!

Why is that weird, though?  Well, I finally broke down and wrote that
advice because I had gotten tired of getting the wrong window splits
while using my current version of Emacs, *a CVS snapshot from earlier
this month*.

Hmm, (emacs-version) says:

  "GNU Emacs 23.0.60.2 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4) of 2009-01-05 on
mcbain"

where is 23.1 and why does my snapshot have an earlier version number?

I don't think it exists yet. That's why Hugo wrote "until I can ...." The 23.0.... whatever, suffixes are something like a beta version.

Thanks,