Re: Elisp: Setting column position?

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: Elisp: Setting column position?
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 10:23:23 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 16, 12:10 pm, Michael Schuerig <mich...@schuerig.de> wrote:
> Ted Zlatanov wrote:
> > On Thu, 15 Jan 2009 20:31:41 +0100 Michael Schuerig
> > <mich...@schuerig.de> wrote:

> > MS> Thanks, that does what I want. I have absolutely no idea why I
> > didn't MS> find it myself.
>
> > Well, you have goto-line and goto-char, but then there's
> > move-to-column
> > and move-to-window-line.  Not to mention jump-to-register.  I usually
> > end up doing M-x apropos no matter what.
>
> Yes, that's exactly what I did, repeatedly. Still, I didn't notice
> move-to-column.
>
> Michael
>
> --
> Michael Schuerig
> mailto:mich...@schuerig.dehttp://www.schuerig.de/michael/

On Jan 16, 11:12 am, Ted Zlatanov <t...@lifelogs.com> wrote:

i think there's something desired here...

i vaguely recall also wanted move-to-column, but i recall thought it
didn't exist. Yes of course i knew apropos, and elisp-index-search and
reasonably familiar with elisp and its manual.

I think it would be great that in the function's in-line doc, it would
say related functions. For example, if one looks up on goto-line, then
at the bottom it might say:

See also: goto-char, move-to-column, ...

I suggest this in a bug report #1119

http://groups.google.com/group/gnu.emacs.bug/browse_frm/thread/7fe3a26119ced00c/8fa912688d153b59

not sure what's the status...

  Xah