Re: emacs gdb layout

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: emacs gdb layout
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2009 10:29:50 +0100

Ritchie <ritchiecai@gmail.com> writes:

>> After start gdb inside emacs with option "--annotation=3 --fullname",
>
> Sorry, that was a typo, what I had in my .emacs originally was
> (setq gud-gdb-command-name "gdb --annotate=3 --fullname")
> which I think is correct.
>
> The version I'm using is Carbon Emacs  (emacs 22)
>
>> I suggest uou read the debuggers section of the Emacs manual.
>
> I read the manual, but it didn't work out very well. The manual says
> "If gdb-many-windows is non-nil, then M-x gdb displays the following
> frame layout "
>
> but when I have the following lines in my .emacs:
>
> (setq gdb-many-windows t)
> (setq gdb-use-separate-io-buffer t)
>
> and run M-x gdb, i still just get the simple layout. I have to bring
> out the default
> frame layout by giving another two M-x gdb-many-windows. The first one
> is to
> disable it, the second one is to enable it again, and then the frame
> layout will
> show up. So I just remove the (setq gdb-many-windows t) from .emacs,
> and
> run it manually everytime after I start gdb.

Try cleaning everything out.

(caveat, I use emacs 23 ut I'm fairly sure it worked in Emacs 22 like
this too).

I, using the code from here :

http://richardriley.net/default/projects/emacs/dotprogramming#sec-1.2

run gdb which then prompts (search for f12)

"gdb --annotate=3 progname"

And I get something like:

http://richardriley.net/default/projects/images/gud.png

good luck!