ido-mode freezes/deadlocks when jumping to root

From: Ross Patterson
Subject: ido-mode freezes/deadlocks when jumping to root
Date: Wed, 21 Jan 2009 12:58:04 -0800

I'm running emacs-snapshot from
https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-elisp/+archive under ubuntu intrepid.  I
have ido-mode enabled for both buffer and file dialogs and I also have
ido-everywhere enabled.

Recently, emacs started freezing whenever I used ido to jump to root,
"/".  This is a full freeze, not even "C-g C-g C-g" will do anything.  I
have to "kill -9".  It happens no matter how I get to root, whether by
typing two slashes or by hitting backspace to get back up to root.  It
doesn't happen if I hit C-f to get out of ido and then hit slash twice
of delete the path up to root at which point everything works fine
including TAB completion.  I've disabled tramp and the problem still
happens.

Has anyone run into this?  Can anyone check if it happens to them?  Any
suggestions for future troubleshooting?  Should I file this as a bug?
If so where?

Thanks!
Ross