Re: How to get pathname completion when doing 'M-!'

From: Kevin Ryde
Subject: Re: How to get pathname completion when doing 'M-!'
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 08:34:11 +1100

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:

> I would find usefull to have pathname completion (as in a shell) in
> the mini buffer when running the 'shell-command' command (M-!).

For a long time I've pressed comint into service for Tab,

  (autoload 'comint-dynamic-complete-filename "comint" nil t)
  (define-key minibuffer-local-map "\t" 'comint-dynamic-complete-filename)

`completing-read' has its own tab binding, so this doesn't interfere
with that, you just get filenames completed in M-x compile and stuff
like that.

The autoload can be annoying on first use when its "loading" message
hides the minibuffer for a second.  There must be an easy way to
suppress that, but I never bothered finding it.