Re: Any advantages to recompile Emacs...

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: Any advantages to recompile Emacs...
Date: Thu, 22 Jan 2009 22:19:47 +0100

Am 22.01.2009 um 20:44 schrieb Francis Moreau:

   emacs 22.2  with X support:  ~  8.0Mo
   emacs 23 without X support:  ~ 14.5Mo

It's a huge difference, so now I'm wondering if I correctly built the
beast...

Any Idea ?

Think of Unicode (8 bit -> 32 bit)! And if your hardware is 64 bit, then GNU Emacs could have been configured and compiled for this, using pointers that large. Did you compile in debug information? (And GTK also consumes lots of disk space, look at my GNU Emacs 21.3.50 (also GCC 3.3)!)

On my Mac the Emacsen have:

 7,490,192 26 Dez 01:23 emacs-22.3
10,166,896 14 Jan 15:27 emacs-23.0.60
13,836,700 20 Jul  2008 emacs-21.3.50

--
Greetings

  Pete

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning.
                                – Rich Cook