Re: whitespace

From: Teemu Likonen
Subject: Re: whitespace
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 16:14:05 GMT

Tomer (2009-01-26 07:45 -0800) wrote:

> I'm trying to get emacs (22.2.1, fedora) to show whitespaces (space,
> tab, eol). I've followed the instructions - several times, I must say
> - here:
> http://www.emacswiki.org/emacs/WhiteSpace
> But I still can't get emacs to display those characters.
>
> Does anybody know of a problem with this feature?

Here it works nicely with this general form of configuring external
features:

 1. Put the file to some directory where you want to keep your local
    elisp extensions. It can be anywhere but in this example I'll use
    the location ~/my-lisp/whitespace.el

 2. Add the directory to "load-path" variable. That is, put this line in
    your ~/.emacs file:

        (add-to-list 'load-path "~/my-lisp")

 3. Add autoload definitions to your ~/.emacs file:

        (autoload 'whitespace-mode "whitespace"
          "Toggle whitespace visualization." t)
        (autoload 'whitespace-toggle-options "whitespace"
          "Toggle local `whitespace-mode' options." t)

After evaluating the previous elisp expressions (or after restarting
Emacs) you have the new mode ready to use: "M-x whitespace-mode".

This mode is distributed with Emacs 23 so when/if you later upgrade your
Emacs you can just forget about all these.