Re: Trouble fontifying /** ... */

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Trouble fontifying /** ... */
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2009 19:20:20 +0000

Hi, Davin,

On Mon, Jan 26, 2009 at 06:00:57PM +1300, Davin Pearson wrote:
> I sent the following email to gnu.emacs.help but received no helpful
> reply.

If it's derived from Java Mode, then this is really one of mine.  ;-)

> I have invented a new (free GPL) programming language called SJS,
> short for Simplified Java Syntax which provides a stepping stone for
> learning Java, which makes it easier to learn Java than by learning
> Java from scratch.  While writing the major mode sjs-mode, I ran into
> a problem highlighting /** ... */ in font-lock-doc-face.

It might be worth checking any regexps you've got, making sure the '*'s
are quoted right.  They can be horribly tricky.  ;-(  A regexp to match
"/*****..... " (minimum 2 stars) might look a bit like:
"/\\*\\*+"

> Click below for my Elisp code:

> http://h1.ripway.com/davin/sjs.el

OK, I've picked up the code.

> To get the desired fontification online, I considered inheriting sjs-
> mode from java-mode, but when you uncomment the line that says (java-
> mode) it does fontify /** ... */ in font-lock-doc-face but it also
> erroneously fontifies the "end" keyword in font-lock-type-face.  This
> behaviour is erroneous and I don't want for this to happen.  I read
> the documentation for font-lock-add-keywords but nothing I tried
> eliminated the fontification of "end".

Any chance you could give me something to chew on?  A bit of SJS source
(preferably quite concise) where the problem is apparent, together with a
recipe for making it happen?

Thanks!

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).