Re: Managing lots of source files (e.g. subroutines and functions)

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Managing lots of source files (e.g. subroutines and functions)
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2009 11:01:59 +0100

Sebastian Schubert <schubert.seb@googlemail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I recently started to work an large project which is written in
> Fortran90.  It includes a lot of different source files included in just
> one folder.  Is there a way to make emacs scan this folder and create
> some kind of procedure or subroutine or function list? I would like to
> be able to directly move to the file where e.g. the function I'm
> interested in is written.
>
> In addition a list of variables would be nice too.
>
> Any idea?

The basic feature can be provided by etag(1)

First, you build a TAGS file:

find $source_directory -name \*.f -print0 | xargs -0 etags -a -o
$source_directory/TAGS {}

then you can use it for example, by typing M-. on a function name.
The first time it'll ask what TAGS file you want (specify the one you
just created).  Then it will jump to the source of the function.

Otherwise, you could use cedet (http://cedet.sourceforge.net) but it
seems there's no Fortran parser yet.  You could write one.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__