Re: emacs lisp programming help

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: emacs lisp programming help
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 19:13:05 +0100

ramestica@gmail.com writes:
> in my .emacs. file I have some logic for setting my prefer font. I

In general, emacs questions (even emacs lisp) would be better answered
in one of the emacs newsgroups, such as news:gnu.emacs.help.  However,
this one is not specific to emacs, so we'll answer here:

> tried something like this:
>
> ;; f-name and f-size-default are strings set to something
> ;; reasonable
> (setq my-default-font (concat f-name f-size-default))
> (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . my-default-font))
>
> then when I start emacs I get logs like this
>
> frame-notice-user-settings: Invalid font: my-default-font
>
> It seems to be a lisp thing that I cannot grasp. Why is that the value
> of my-default-font is not replaced in the last expression?

What does the quote do?  What does 'x evaluate to?
And what does '(a b c) evaluate to?
And what does '(a . b) evaluate to?
So what does '(font . my-default-font) evaluate to?
What other mean to create a cons cell do you know?

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__