How to load a font from a file?

From: Joseph Garvin
Subject: How to load a font from a file?
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 09:56:53 -0800 (PST)

In the interest of making my emacs setup more portable, I'd like to be
able to set the current font by specifying a file rather than a font
name, i.e. "Load ~/config/myfont.ttf and use size 12". Is there a way
to do that in my .emacs? All the instructions I've found assume the
font is already installed on the system. I'm using the XFT support on
Linux, so a linux specific hack would be OK but I'd prefer something
that would work on all targets.