Re: Mac OS X (cocoa editon) azerty [ { problem

From: David
Subject: Re: Mac OS X (cocoa editon) azerty [ { problem
Date: Fri, 30 Jan 2009 10:39:04 +0100

Pieter Laeremans <pieter@laeremans.org> writes:
> I use an azerty keyboard but emacs doesn't handle the following
> symbols correctly
>
> { [  and \
>
> In a normal application for example I can input { by pushing (option
> alais alt 5),
> Emacs interprets this as M-5 instead of just inserting the right
> symbol.
>
> It is not clear to me how to turn this of.

One possibility: Go to Emacs->Preferences, set Alt/Opt-Key to "None" and
set Command Key to "Meta". This has the disadvantage that it interferes
with the MacOS-Shortcuts for the Command key.

Another possibility: rebind the keys in your .emacs, e.g.

(global-set-key (kbd "M-5") (lambda () (interactive) (insert "[")))

Don't know if that always works in all modes, though.

Best possibility: Adapt your keyboard layout for Mac OS X, e.g. using
Ukelele. Your hands will thank you for it later.

-David