Re: What completion mechanisms are you using?

From: Les Harris
Subject: Re: What completion mechanisms are you using?
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2009 03:42:17 -0800

senny <yves.senn@gmail.com> writes:

> Because I have no clue where to start searching for the ones I like, i
> wanted to ask you what extensions you are using and how they help you
> to optimize your day to day work.

I'm a big fan icicles. It adds completion for pretty much any minibuffer
related activity you can think of (and then some).  I still haven't come
close to really utilizing it to it's full potential (but then, with
emacs in general that is a rather normal state of affairs for me!)

Features that I use often would include:
 * Regex and Fuzzy matching.  These are great when I have a general idea
 what something I'm looking for is named but not exactly.  Also good for
 exploring possibilities within a subset of functionality.

 * Saving completion lists to act as de facto file listings for
   projects.

 * Using it's completion to enhance the discoverability of emacs
   commands for myself.

Icicles if sort of a kitchen sink solution but a high quality one.  If
you would like something a bit more focused perhaps look into ido-mode?

My two cents at any rate.

--
Do they only stand
By ignorance, is that their happy state,