Re: grokking char encodings

From: rustom
Subject: Re: grokking char encodings
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2009 00:16:19 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 30, 2:58 pm, Eli Zaretskii <e...@gnu.org> wrote:
> > From: rustom <rustompm...@gmail.com>
> > Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2009 22:54:48 -0800 (PST)
>
> > There is this page:
> >http://orgmode.org/worg/org-tutorials/org-custom-agenda-commands.php
> > which when I print under Firefox3 prints some spaces as unicode boxes:
> > in particular the ones in
> > <pre class="example">
>
> I cannot reproduce this.  How did you download this page to your disk?
> I used a Windows port of the wget command.  I see only ASCII blanks in
> the file.
I browsed it in firefox (version 3.0.5).
When I save it as web-page  complete I get this behavior
When I save it as web-page html only it behaves well -- no unicode
boxes on printing, no ^Ms in emacs but it is css-free printing as far
as I can see

> > Now this is not directly relevant to emacs except that when I open the
> > page under emacs (on a win XP box) the mode line shows
> > -1(Unix)....
> > but the file shows ^M at EOLs.
>
> Can't reproduce this, either.  I see "(Unix)", but no stray ^M
> characters anywhere in sight.
>
> What you see means that the EOL format of the file is inconsistent:
> some lines have the DOS CR-LF pair, others plain Unix-style LF
> characters at the end of the line.
>
> Or maybe it has something to do with your customizations; does the
> same problem happen in "emacs -Q"?

Same behavior

> > I am trying to understand what this means as a char encoding...
>
> "1" means it's Latin-1, "(Unix)" means that it has Unix-style EOL
> format.
>
> > Can someone throw some light?
> > My own understanding is that both emacs and FF3 are being confused by
> > something... What?
>
> I cannot say, until I'm able to reproduce the problem on my machine.
>
> What version of Emacs do you use, btw?

emacs-version shows 22.1.1 on windows XP service pack 2