Re: Selecting default prompt text

From: Richard Riley
Subject: Re: Selecting default prompt text
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 10:54:44 +0100

Kevin Rodgers <kevin.d.rodgers@gmail.com> writes:

> Richard Riley wrote:
>> I like my interactive functions to generally use the word or region at
>> point as a default. Is there a way to make the read-string mini buffer
>> input to pre-select the default value?
>>
>> e.g
>>
>> consider
>>
>> (setq url (read-string (format "Url (%s) :" url) url nil url))
>>
>> Here I would like to see at the input prompt
>>
>> Url (xyz): xyz
>>
>> with the default value of "xyz" already selected. In other words
>> the same behaviour as when you tab into a populated  entry field in most
>> of applications.
>
> (let ((url-at-point (thing-at-point 'url)))
>   (read-string (if url-at-point
>                  (format "URL (%s): " url-at-point)
>              nil nil url-at-point))

Hi Kevin,

Sorry if I was not clear. I don't mean a default value - I mean
pre-selected as in "in region". e.g when you tab to a field in a web
form for example - The data in the field is highlighted/selected. I
already had a default value set as "url" in the code above.

e.g

goto www.Google.com

enter some text and tab to a button then tab back. The text in the
search field is selected.

--
 important and urgent problems of the technology of today are no longer the
satisfactions of the primary needs or of archetypal wishes, but the reparation