Executing External Programs from Emacs

From: dstein64
Subject: Executing External Programs from Emacs
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2009 22:48:56 -0800 (PST)

Are there any functions that can launch external programs (not just
command line programs, but also GUI programs) from Emacs? I know that
I can access a shell, and call a program from there, but then emacs is
not operable until I close the program. Prepending the command with
`nohup' is useful, but for some reason it does not work as expected
with all programs, including emacs. I would prefer another way of
doing this - using a specific built-in of emacs lisp if one exists.