Re: Executing External Programs from Emacs

From: Josef G. Bauer
Subject: Re: Executing External Programs from Emacs
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2009 12:52:10 +0100

Hi,

isn't 'call-process' what you are looking for?

Maybe search Google Groups for 'dired-do-shell-command-in-background'.

Greetings

Josef

    dstein64> Are there any functions that can launch external
    dstein64> programs (not just command line programs, but also GUI
    dstein64> programs) from Emacs? I know that I can access a shell,
    dstein64> and call a program from there, but then emacs is not
    dstein64> operable until I close the program. Prepending the
    dstein64> command with `nohup' is useful, but for some reason it
    dstein64> does not work as expected with all programs, including
    dstein64> emacs. I would prefer another way of doing this - using
    dstein64> a specific built-in of emacs lisp if one exists.  Any
    dstein64> help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.