Re: abbreviations for Unicode

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: abbreviations for Unicode
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2009 00:56:10 -0600

Dale Gerdemann wrote:
I've been editing files with lots of Unicode characters and I thought
I might save time by using abbreviations for certain hard to type
characters (I'm using Mule input methods for the easier stuff).
Everything works okay when I edit the .abbrev_defs file myself, but
the character encoding gets all screwed up when I let Emacs do the
editing. That is, if I use C-x a g to interactively define an
abbreviation, then this will work only for the current session. When I
quit, I'm prompted with the question whether I want to save
the .abbrev_defs file and if I say 'yes', then all the definitions I
have are destroyed.

I'm using GNU Emacs 22.2.1 on Ubuntu 8.10 with LANG=en_US.UTF-8

And btw, I'm mostly very happy with Unicode support in Emacs. My
problem here is really in the category of minor annoyances. But I
would like to fix it.

After you have all the abbrevs set up the way you want them go into the *Abbrevs* buffer and run:
C-x ret f utf-8
This should cause ;;-*-coding: emacs-mule;-*- to be prepended to the .abbrev_defs file when you do:
M-x write-abbrev-file

You can call your abbrevs file something else if you want; .abbrev_defs is the default or you could have many abbrev files if you needed them for some reason.

Ed