Re: W3M with Emacs 21.3 under windows XP

From: Chris McMahan
Subject: Re: W3M with Emacs 21.3 under windows XP
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2009 14:11:52 -0500

kelsogl <kelsogl@hotmail.com> writes:

> I am an old emacs (ab)user.  My programming training is limited to a
> course in Fortran IV level G back in 1966.  I have downloaded
> w3m-0.5.2.tar.gz from
> http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=39518&package_id=31682&release_id=512477
> and
> ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/pkgsrc/packages/NetBSD/i386/5.0/All/emacs-w3m-1.4.4nb1.tgz.
> and have managed to extract the tarballs.  I have been using a
> precompiled emacs (GNU Emacs 21.3.1 (i386-msvc-nt5.1.2600) of
> 2003-03-27 on buffy) for years and would like to incorporate w3m but
> have no idea where to even start.  I have been running from help page
> to help page for days and just am not smart enough to make it through
> all the acronyms.  Could someone be kind enough to give me a go-by to
> help me get my directory structures put together properly and the
> appropriate items added to my .emacs file. I am running XP service
> pack 3 on a computer that my daughter built for me.  It has an E6750
> dual core processor  Thanks in advance.

Emacs W3M mode is a front end to the w3m html-rendering program. You
must have w3m installed for this to work.

I'm using a version bundled with the cygwin unix emulation
(www.cygwin.com), but that may be a bit heavy.

I found a version compiled for windows platforms on sourceforge.net at
the following URL:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/w3m

- Chris

--