Re: Printing with emacs: Not working

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Printing with emacs: Not working
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 11:31:08 -0600

Lennart Borgman wrote:
On Fri, Feb 27, 2009 at 11:37 AM, Eli Zaretskii <eliz@gnu.org> wrote:
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2009 09:40:21 +0100
From: Lennart Borgman <lennart.borgman@gmail.com>
Cc: help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org

You have to set the value of "printer-name"
That does not necessarily help.
But does not necessarily fail, either.  No need to discourage a fellow
Emacs users before they even tried.

I did not try to discourage. As you know there is a very simple
solution: Use the web browser for printing. For details see the page
on EmacsWiki I pointed to.

It's certainly much easier to get something out of Emacs and down in black and white (color too) using printing through the browser rather than through ghost-script. Virtually every w32 user has a browser but very many don't have ghost-script installed. I think that I once had the latter method working since I have lines similar to rustom's commented out in my .emacs. To get printing through Firefox all I had to do was download:

hfyview.el
htmlfontify.el

These are in my emacs/lisp directory but they could probably go in emacs/emacs-lisp instead, where the other piece of the puzzle, easymenu.el resides.

Then add to .emacs:

(require 'hfyview)

After restarting (or maybe just rereading .emacs) a new item appears in the File menu:

Quick Printing (Using Web Browser)

Ed