Re: Absolutely naïve question about line numbering and lisp code

From: B. T. Raven
Subject: Re: Absolutely naïve question about line numbering and lisp code
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 2009 09:16:59 -0600

Armando Martins wrote:
Hello!

I am trying to numer the lines of a text (not the buffer, although
this solution could work around). I google and I find files in lisp
code, say: num.el, setnu.el, line.el...
How can I make it work on a text file I have. Do I download (wherever)
and open it and click "evaluate lisp" and then it will work for all
the session?
I am using Windows Vista.
Thanks for your help

Yes. Just copy that file (say, setnu.el) into say, site-lisp directory and then M-x load-library setnu. Now M-x setnu-mode should toggle line numbers on and off. If you just want to add line numbers permanently you could run this, of unknown provenance:

(defun insert-line-numbers ()
    "Insert a line number on all lines of the current buffer."
  (interactive)
  (save-excursion
    (save-restriction
      (widen)
      (let ((fmt (format "%%0%dd "
                         (1+ (truncate
                              (log (count-lines (point-min) (point-max))
                                   10)))))
            (i 0))
        (goto-char (point-min))
        (while (< (point) (point-max))
          (setq i (1+ i))
          (insert (format fmt i))
          (forward-line)))))
  );;insert-line-numbers

Of course if you add or delete a line then you would have to delete the rectangle in the the line number "region" and re-run M-x insert-line-numbers. Not very flexible.

Ed