emacs 22 rpm's

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: emacs 22 rpm's
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 23:03:02 +1300

Brendan Miller writes:
 > My understanding is that more recent versions of emacs (22.1 and
 > forwards) have a much nicer gdb frontend built in.
 >
 > I need to use emacs-nox to remote debug a bunch of machines over ssh
 > that have gdb, but no gcc installed on them. I have the older version,
 > but I'd like to get the newer version of emacs for the nice gdb
 > support.
 >
 > Compiling individually on each machine isn't really practical because
 > it's an operation I would need to repeat regularly, ...

I'm not sure exactly what you are trying to do but you but you only need emacs
22 on your host machine, if you have gdb on your remote machines, and you use
a recent version of Tramp, as explained in the Tramp manual:

  With TRAMP, it is possible to
  debug programs on remote hosts.  You can call `gdb' with a remote file
  name:

       M-x gdb <RET>
       Run gdb (like this): gdb --annotate=3 /ssh:host:~/myprog <RET>