installing line-numbers minor mode

From: Glen Rubin
Subject: installing line-numbers minor mode
Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 16:47:41 -0800 (PST)

I am new to emacs and trying to install line-numbers-mode.  This is emacs 22 that I am calling under X

The directions to install it were as follows:

;; 1. byte-compile the elisp file
;; 2. add this line to your .emacs file:  (require 'line-numbers-mode)
;; 3. use the minor-mode-menu on modeline or M-x line-numbers-mode to toggle\

byte-compile went fine I put the resulting elc file in my .emacs.d directory

I then added the following lines to my .emacs file:

(setq load-path (cons "~/.emacs.d" load-path))
(require 'line-numbers-mode)

Now when i start up emacs an error comes up, but it's too quick for me to read...something about variable and void.

when I try to use the line-numbers-mode nothing changes.  Any help appreciated.