How do I get my emacs to *always* use 6x13 on X11

From: B Smith-Mannschott
Subject: How do I get my emacs to *always* use 6x13 on X11
Date: Sun, 8 Mar 2009 16:37:37 +0100

GNU Emacs 23.0.91.1 (i686-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.14.4)
on a GNU/Linux System (Ubuntu 8.10).

I recently declared .emacs bankrupcy and reorganized my init stuff. In
the process, I ripped out all the hacky font selection stuff I had
accrued over the years, figuring there are probably easier ways to
accomplish what I want in the most modern version of emacs. Let's
ignore, for the moment, the fact that I also run emacs under Mac OS X
(GUI+Terminal) and occasionally on Windows and just focus on the X11
case:

* 6x13 has been part of X11 for as long as I can remember. (a.k.a
misc-fixed semi-condensed ...)
* It's a bitmap font.

* I want emacs to always use the X11 bitmap font 6x13. (This gives me
two buffers next to eachother on my netbook.)
* I don't want to see DejaVu Sans Mono 16pt or whatever the heck comes
up by default on my netbook (it's huge!)
* I want every new frame and window to use this font.
* I want derived faces (like org-mode-column) to use 6x13 font and not
mysteriously switch back to DejaVu Sans Mono
* I don't care what GNOME and X11 think the logical DPI of my screen
is. I want 6x13.
* When I remote into my netbook (NX Machine) I don't want to see 6x10.
I want 6x13.

What's the canonical way to do to make this happen?

And before some smart-aleck tells me about menu: Options>>Set Default
Font: the resulting dialog box doesn't even offer bitmap fonts, so
there's no way to choose 6x13. Furthermore, it doesn't solve the
problem with org-mode: table-views still come up with the wrong font.

// Ben