Re: url package

From: Xah Lee
Subject: Re: url package
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 17:06:34 -0700 (PDT)

On Mar 7, 4:28 pm, "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> wrote:
> Johan Bockgård wrote:
> > "B. T. Raven" <ni...@nihilo.net> writes:
>
> >> A web site claims that by merely loading this package you can C-x C-f
> >> on a Url and have its html code loaded into a buffer. I get a new
> >> buffer with the name of the html file that would be listed by clicking
> >> on View > Page Source in Firefox but the buffer is empty. What else
> >> has to be done besides M-x load-library url before opening a buffer
> >> with the url's source?
>
> > M-x url-handler-mode (load-library is not needed since the function is
> > autoloaded)
>
> Thanks, Johan, but it still doesn't work as advertised, at least not on
> w32 version 22.1
> M-x browse-url-at-point brings up the web page in Firefox and
> View>PageSource shows the code, but if I try C-x
> C-fhttp://en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/about/
> I get an empty buffer named c:/en-us.www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/about/
>
> Then I tried other web pages and some filled the buffer with html and
> others didn't. Shouldn't there be some minimal block of html code on any
> page?

haven't tried the package you mentioned. However, i it's very easy to
implement what you want, in about 10 min.

you can call several external programs such as linx, w3, wget, curl,
GET, to fetch the the source of a url, then create a buffer and insert
it there. Just wrap it with shell-command-on-region. I think the
following tutorial covers it exactly:

• Elisp Wrapper For Perl Scripts
  http://xahlee.org/emacs/elisp_perl_wrapper.html

a pure elisp solution is also easy. Just call one of those elisp
packages that fetchs stuff over network. e.g. look at the installation
instruction in ljupdate mode.

Getting the url for the input of fetch is easy, by thing-at-point.

  Xah
∑ http://xahlee.org/