Re: Expand/unexpand window possible?

From: Evans Winner
Subject: Re: Expand/unexpand window possible?
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 12:25:04 -0600

pjb@informatimago.com (Pascal J. Bourguignon) writes:

    I can't understand why RMS hasn't rewritten emacs in
    Common Lisp a long time ago... (apart from him saying
    that he didn't like CL).

That's usually enough of a reason for most people.

LiCE compiled for me on sbcl recently[1].  It also
presumably runs on Movitz.  It's not exactly production-
ready, and I'm not nearly enough of a cl hacker to work on
it, but it has the virtue (in my opinion) over other
attempts at a cl-based Emacs that it 1) runs in a tty, and
2) attempts an API for Emacs lisp, so that it could
eventually run (much of?) the existing Emacs lisp code.  It
includes ELIZA, which at a glance looks like it was simple
to port.  If LiCE ever gets to the point where it is even
reasonably usable I for one would be willing to do some of
the grunt work of trying to get Elisp libraries running on
it, assuming that ends up as straight-forward as it seems he
(Betts) intends it to be.

Footnotes:
[1]  http://www.emmett.ca/~sabetts/