Re: Daemon and client: Only open new frame if there isn't one already?

From: Hugo Heden
Subject: Re: Daemon and client: Only open new frame if there isn't one already?
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 11:38:06 +0100

On Fri, Mar 13, 2009 at 10:20 PM, Johan Bockgård
<bojohan+news@dd.chalmers.se> wrote:
> Hugo Heden <hugoheden@gmail.com> writes:
>

>> The first time I invoke emacsclient it opens in a terminal, not in a
>> window-manager-managed GUI-frame. I have to manually create a
>> GUI-frame using --create-frame.
>
> That seems to be the intended behavior
>
>    "If the Emacs process has no existing frame--which can happen if it
>     was started as a daemon--then Emacs opens a frame on the terminal
>     in which you called `emacsclient', as though you had used the `-t'
>     option."
>
> (info "(emacs) Invoking emacsclient")

Thanks Johan, I won't have to file a bug report then. Unless there is
a huge consensus here that this behaviour should be changed?

I am not sure how to achieve what I want to do, but I think I can make
some clunky bash-script that does

  emacsclient.emacs-snapshot -e "(x-display-list)"

to see the whether or not there is a emacs GUI-frame on the current $DISPLAY.