Re: what are <remap> and <switch-to-buffer>

From: Pascal J. Bourguignon
Subject: Re: what are <remap> and <switch-to-buffer>
Date: Sun, 15 Mar 2009 10:47:15 +0100

Santanu <thisissantanu@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> From a recent post in this newsgroup, I came to know about the
> ido-mode. I still don't know much about this, but while exploring,
> I gave the command 'M-x ido-switch-buffer'. In the minibuffer, emacs
> told me
> "You can run the command ido-switch-buffer with <remap> <switch-to-
> buffer>"
> Now, I know about M(Meta), C(Control), S(Shift). But what is <remap>
> and <switch-to-buffer> ?

You can know what keys a command is bound to with C-h w
C-h w ido-switch-buffer RET
(here it says it's not bound to any key).

However, when I do C-h w find-file RET it says:
find-file is on <open>, C-x C-f, <menu-bar> <file> <new-file>

Notice the comas!  There's three ways to find-file thru "keys".

1-  keying the   <open>   key,

2-  keying C-x C-f,

3-  selecting the <menu-bar>, selecting the <file> item,
    and selecting the <new-file> item.

I'd guess that the <open> key is what happens when you click on the
open button in the tool-bar.

--
__Pascal Bourguignon__