Re: News server access from Gnus

From: Michael Ekstrand
Subject: Re: News server access from Gnus
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2009 10:35:40 -0500

prad <prad@towardsfreedom.com> writes:
> On Sun, 15 Mar 2009 23:30:27 +0200
> Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:
>> If your ISP is not actively blocking NNTP access to other sources, you
>> can always register to sunsite.dk
>>
> we do have news i found out from our isp, but it doesn't offer much so
> i've setup on sunsite.dk - in fact, i'm replying through the newsgroup
> instead of the maillist. i'll give emacs gnus a try later this week.
>
> btw, motzeralla looks good too though i couldn't find this emacs
> newsgroup on it.

aioe.org carries the gnu.* hierarchy.

> the reason i posted this here instead of sending it privately is that
> i'm trying to figure out what the advantages are of accessing things
> through usenet vs email and would appreciate input on this from
> anyone.

I pull anything I can via usenet (I have a leafnode server that pulls
from aioe.org and gmane, and then access anything possible through
that).  Then the server manages expiry for me :).  Also, it makes using
Gnus a little more fluid, as it is its native habitat.  Further, it
lowers the mail load and the time to download and split messages (I use
POP3 to receive mail) if all possible mass mailings go through NNTP.

- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.