Re: how to change C-x prefix to C-k in a clean way?

From: Rupert Swarbrick
Subject: Re: how to change C-x prefix to C-k in a clean way?
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 10:53:01 +0000

rustom <rustompmody@gmail.com> writes:

> My specific (personal) problem is this:
> It is certain that the amortized benefit of learning dvorak will beat
> qwerty and keyscript correspondingly improves over dvorak.
>
> But to reap that amortized benefit one needs to assume an infinite
> life to offset the time (and essdoubleyoueeayetee  !)

Well, I dunno. I reckon it was a month or so until I was faster typing
dvorak than qwerty. I switched to "learn to type properly": I'd worked
out touch typing on my own with qwerty and, although it was quick, I was
heavily favouring my left hand and was having RSI problems.

If you do decide to switch, I recommend printing out a paper "fake
keyboard" to rest somewhere in view of the screen and to avoid looking
at the keyboard at all. This seems to be the quickest way to get
competent. However, an unexpected side-effect has been that I still
don't actually know where any dvorak characters are without pretending
to put my fingers on the home row...

As far as using qwerty keyboards afterwards goes, I don't have any
problem typing (once I realise that what I was trying to do is producing
gibberish!), but keyboard shortcuts take some more thought. I wouldn't
want to use qwerty emacs nowadays!

Rupert