help with file not found hook

From: pedz
Subject: help with file not found hook
Date: Fri, 20 Mar 2009 15:54:37 -0700 (PDT)

I'm trying to write a hook for the find-file-not-found-functions but I
may be way off course.

This is for OSF DCE which has a tree that is "backed" by a matching
tree (which can also be backed...)

So, if I try to find a file

  /a/b/BASE/c/d/e/f.c

that may not exist so the next place to look is

  /a/b/BASE/link/c/d/e/f.c

and after that

  /a/b/BASE/link/link/c/d/e/f.c

etc.

Questions:
  1) After I find the file, I currently set buffer-file-name to the
full path and then call insert-file-contents and return true.  Is that
what I should be doing?

  2) The problem I have is if I find the same file a second time, I
get a duplicate buffer.  I can check to see if such a buffer already
exists but what do I do if it does?

Thanks