Emacs yanking my frames all over the desktop

From: Michael Ekstrand
Subject: Emacs yanking my frames all over the desktop
Date: Sat, 21 Mar 2009 15:46:33 -0500

I am running Emacs 23 (pretest on one machine, Debian snapshot packages
on another) with the GTK+ GUI under XFCE 4.4 and suffer from some rather
annoying behavior with regards to raising frames.

When a frame is raised, Emacs is not content to raise that frame to the
top and give it the focus if possible.  If the frame is on a different
virtual workspace from the one I am currently viewing, it moves the
frame to the current workspace.  When I have different frames for
(primarily) different purposes laid out on workspaces where I want them,
it is frustrating to have Emacs destroy that by moving them around.
I've fixed the primary context of the problem by telling ido to display
buffers in the active frame rather than their current frame if they're
already displayed, but sometimes it still comes up and bites me
occasionally if Emacs is a bit slow in responding and I flip to a
different desktop to look at something while it works and then decides
it needs to raise the frame.

Looking through customize and with apropos, I cannot find any variables
I can use to adjust this behavior.

Is there a way I can instruct Emacs to never move a frame from one
virtual desktop to another?  If it wants to raise a frame on a different
desktop, marking the frame as urgent (and possibly moving it to the top
on that desktop) and waiting until I return to the desktop it's on would
be ideal behavior.

Thanks,
- Michael

--
mouse, n: A device for pointing at the xterm in which you want to type.