Re: How to do rectangular cut(visual block) in emacs

From: Rupert Swarbrick
Subject: Re: How to do rectangular cut(visual block) in emacs
Date: Tue, 24 Mar 2009 12:44:30 +0000

Francis Moreau <francis.moro@gmail.com> writes:
> Now let say's I have the following text:
>
> a/ this is a line
> b/ this is a very long line
> c/ a short one
>
> and I want to copy the rectangle of this text without the a/ b/ c/
>
> How do I move to the bottom right corner without adding space to the
> last
> line ?

My personal solution? Use a normal M-w to plonk the whole list onto the
kill-ring, C-x C-b to a temporary buffer (I tend to use C-x C-b b RET),
yank the lot, use C-x r k to kill the starts of the lines and then C-w
the result and yank it to wherever it's needed.

There are probably swankier ways of doing it, but variants on this trick
solve all sorts of weird and wonderful layouts of stuff you want to
mangle.

Another solution would be C-M-% [a-z]/ RET RET of course.

Rupert